As I get older, I am definitely more attuned to my body and how I feel on a day-to-day basis. Or maybe I just have greater aches and pains than I used to, so they are more noticeable (Hangovers for one are certainly more painful than they were 10 years ago!)? Either way, I have been stressing lately (Busy, Work, Life!) – which I know has a big impact on my well-being – and I am just not feeling as good as I would like to. SO, it seemed like the perfect time to do some cleansing. I am juicing all day, and eating a light, clean, dinner at night with lots of water in-between. ♥
If you have ever done a juice cleanse, then you know that when you come off of it you typically find yourself craving some really interesting things – interesting as in, healthy, and not the burgers/fries/junk food, that I think most people assume you would want. I always feel so energized and happy after I do one, and want to keep all of those good vibes going. Without a doubt, I also always want to eat brown rice and spinach – preferably with tons of garlic. Like, I would be thrilled to have four bowls of brown rice in front of me right now, and I would just plow through them. Weird, right? But it never, ever, fails!
This meal then, is what I prepare when those cravings hit. The rice is a modified version of a side my Mom makes a lot, with poultry seasoning and dried cranberries. I used a mix of spices and herbs instead and traded the cranberries for tart dried cherries (Make sure you use a brand that has no sugar added, because those babies can be loaded with it!). Since cherries are in season right now I added a handful of those, and a chopped fig too. Throwing the fresh fruit in turned an already great thing into perfection, and looking at these photos definitely has me wanting a bowl of that kind of perfect again! ~ Only 2 more days to go ; )
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Coconut Oil
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Small Red Onion, Diced
- ¼ Cup Sugar-Free Dried Tart Cherries
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Sage
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Cup Brown Rice (+ Water or Vegetable Stock)
- ½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
- ¼ Cup Chopped Tart Cherries
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Figs
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the celery and onion to the pan, and cook for approximately 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the cherries (The cherries will 'plump' as you cook them and give the rice lots of flavor!), herbs & spices, and rice to the pan. Pour in the water or vegetable stock and cook your rice according to package directions (I used 2.5 cups of stock, and cooked my rice covered, on low heat, for approximately 30 minutes, but all varieties are different!).
- Meanwhile, wilt the spinach. Add the olive oil to a pan over medium high heat.
- Once the olive oil is warm, add the garlic and spinach to the pan (Be careful as the spinach has so much water in it, that it will pop!).
- Quickly toss the spinach and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, just until the spinach is soft. Set aside.
- When the rice is finished cooking, remove from the heat, and stir in the fresh fruit.
- Serve the rice with the spinach on top.