Can I please tell you all how much fun I had creating this post? It combines two of my favorite subjects to blather on about…food (of course) and natural beauty products. When those products are related to keeping your teeth so fresh and so clean, well then…
If you have been following along here, you may know that I am a bit (Okay, majorly…) crazy about keeping my pearly whites just that. I even used that exact phrase in a previous installment regarding DIY toothpaste because that concept is playing in an endless loop in my head, apparently. I am going to stop for a second and also tell you that I updated that post this week because it gets a lot of love and the original had two blurred, yellowed photos in it that were embarrassing me almost as much as the unfortunate fonts I included on top of them. I think the whole thing looks much prettier, it now provides answers to some of your frequently asked questions, and reflects a product line that I love. Please take a look if you feel so inclined!
Well Scent is a holistic apothecary that produces organic wildcrafted essential oils as well as a line of dental care. I wanted to share this company with you as I find it so rare to come across a natural product/s that I like as much as (or even more than) something that my DIY-loving-self can simply whip up. Watch Your Mouth has become my go-to travel toothpaste (Trust me when I tell you that TSA approves of this much more readily than they do my small jars of homemade concoctions. Let’s just say that I’ve been stopped at a security checkpoint more than once!), mouthwash replacement, and breath freshener in a pinch. The flavor is phenomenal – I would liken it to an extra woodsy cinnamon taste – a little of it goes a long way, and the bottle is tiny enough to fit into even my most compact clutch. I call that a win on all fronts! I’ve been using WYM in tandem with Shine, a mineral rich tooth brightener that boasts antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
As far as this recipe is concerned, I suppose you could say that it’s my playful attempt to make these two worlds collide; the one in which I want to eat everything and the other in which I want to talk to you about essential oils. In this recipe strawberries are roasted with honey and vanilla bean seeds and then blended with a few other ingredients, ending with a drop of peppermint oil. Strawberries – when rubbed against the surface of your teeth – are an excellent tooth whitening agent as they contain malic acid which acts as an astringent and removes discoloration. So while drinking this smoothie will not actually make your teeth any whiter, I guarantee that it will leave you feeling good from the inside-out, and put a smile on your face!
- For the Roasted Strawberries:
- 4 cups hulled and chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ vanilla bean pod
- For the Smoothie:
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I typically use Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana OR ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 drop food grade peppermint oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the roasted strawberries: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the strawberries on the baking sheet. Drizzle the honey over the top and using the tip of a small knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean pod onto the strawberries as well. Toss the mixture to coat. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until the strawberries have started to crisp at the edges and the berries are "bleeding" juices onto the pan. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the smoothie: Place the strawberries in a blender with milk, vanilla extract, banana and peppermint oil. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.